[kwlug-disc] Deny Internet access for some LAN devices

B. S. bs27975 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 18:01:51 EDT 2017

Doesn't need to be a VLAN, which would require the router to understand
VLAN. Just static addresses (nets) on the camera, and a secondary eth on
points you care about / would access with. e.g. On the PI, where the VPN
address and internal net can forward to that interface and vice versa,
and forwards from that net to 0.0.0.0 denied. Gateway on the cameras
would be the PI.

For VLAN, the cameras, or the switch(es) they're connected to, would
have to be VLAN capable and probably aren't. The PI could be made to be,
but by itself that doesn't buy you anything that isn't already present
above.

Have to be static on the cameras, else a physically separate network or
DHCP is going to cause network confusion. Or specially crafted DHCP
settings - which would only bring complication for little gain.

You'll want to turn off PnP, et al, on the cameras, and UPnP et al
inside the house, so nothing can inadvertently discover the presence of
the cameras.