[kwlug-disc] Email received with no email address in the to: line

B. S. bs27975 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 16:50:14 EDT 2017

This is what I was running into with msmtp in the earlier thread.

Through this list's help I determined that that problem was gigo - I was
assuming the facilities would cross-pollinate fields between envelope
and message body, which turned out not to be the case. [Once I spotted
that and started doing so, everything started working.]

Along the way I spotted what you describe when the envelope fields were
present but not in the message body. e.g. Blank to: / from: / subject:",
although one or more was present in the envelope (else how could the
message have landed in the first place).

If using the gmail web page, you can see original then save as and see
things missing from one or the other. Other email clients will have
their own means of doing so. (Which, of course, you already know / are
familiar with.)

The insidious nature of it all was revealed in that gmail was rejecting
messages without a from: in the message body, but that from: could be
empty. A prepending line of 'From:\n' in the message body was sufficient
for it to let it through. The resulting email looked much as you describe.

If you want to demonstrate to yourself, assuming your sendmail (postfix
/ mail / exim / msmtp / ssmtp / whatever) is successfully configured to
send mail out of your system, 'echo -e "From:\nSubject:" | sendmail
you at example.com' should do it.

[And nothing has to match (fields vs envelope) - but at least the
you at example.com has to be correct for it to get to you.]

Start adding bits and you'll see the result look more and more normal.
e.g. 'From: nobody at google.com\nTo: dictator at myworld.com\nSubject: Master
plan.\n\nSome body text.'

The final solution was calling a command that properly populates both
the envelope and message body fields. Some way or another.