[kwlug-disc] Introduction - Mark

Mark Steffen rmarksteffen at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 21:16:55 EDT 2016

Scott had a great idea, and I joined recently so I thought I should also
introduce myself.

I've been a long time Linux user since around 1992 (SLS downloaded from
S'qually Hollar public access Unix in Seattle WA much to my parents long
distance phone bill dismay, but at least it was on a USRobotics HST 14.4k
modem right?).  Used RedHat, Debian, CentOS, and Ubuntu.  CentOS is my
favourite for server deploys, Ubuntu for desktops.

Past life I had a small ISP from around 1994-2010 in a rural community
doing dialup initially then DSL over dry loop copper pairs (yay dotcom
meltdown Copper Mountain SDSL DSLAMs from ebay!), and fixed wireless
(Breezecom FHSS, StarOS, Ubiquiti) and Bell AGAS DSL stuff colod at 151
Front Street in Toronto, using Linux to terminate the L2TP tunnels, host
websites, RADIUS server, and pretty much everything else.

Divorced, sold business, moved to city and got a corporate job, currently a
Senior Security Engineer for an Fortune 500 company and loving it.  Doing
some IT consulting on the side utilizing Linux where I can (not just to
save customers money but because it's often the most sensible solution).

I haven't been to a meeting in a while but I'll try to make it there again
soon, and sign up for a talk if I can find something I can competently talk
about.  September/October really busy with work related travel though.

Thanks for listening!

*Mark Steffen*
Office: +1.226.476.1240 | Mobile/SMS: +1.226.600.0464 | Skype:
r.mark.steffen
*"Quality is not an act, it is a habit." - Aristotle*