[kwlug-disc] ssh/terminal on Android phone

Nick Guenther nguenthe at uwaterloo.ca
Sat Oct 29 16:07:18 EDT 2016

Just ConnectBot. After all this time it is still the most simple and functional, imo. The on-screen arrow and ctrl buttons clinch it for me.

Termux is neat for the selection of packages, but its terminal UI is not quite as nice and that gets annoying fast on a touchsceeen. And it is hamstrung on my phone by Android 6's permission model: any Termux shell, including via its opensshd and the homescreen scrirpts it lets you save, is trapped to the Termux jail, which is /data/data/com.termux/files, /storage/emulated/0 (the internal sd card) and /storage/$external/Android/data/com.termux/files. ConnectBot has the same restriction, but I never want to try to get out because it doesn't has glints of the elusive full mobile programming environment.

-Nick