[kwlug-disc] So why not tar -cf tarball.tar a.xz b.xz c.xz, instead of tar -cJf tarball.tar.xz a b c ?

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Fri Oct 28 02:16:50 EDT 2016

On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 01:54:25AM -0400, Chris Frey wrote:
> In my tests, a 1M split size seemed too big for tar to recover from
> by itself, but fixtar was able to do it:
>
> 	https://github.com/BestSolution-at/fixtar

Putting this together with gzrecover (gzrt) may be enough to not
have to worry about this question at all.  If it is possible to
recover from both corrupt gzip blocks and corrupt tar blocks to
get at the data on the other side of the file, then going to the
trouble of compressing first may not gain much.

- Chris