[kwlug-disc] Mysterious filtered ports on a server

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Wed Oct 26 14:07:35 EDT 2016

On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 01:57:51AM -0400, Remi Gauvin wrote:
> On 16-10-26 01:14 AM, Paul Nijjar via kwlug-disc wrote:
>
> >I appreciate your help, but do not particularly appreciate the dig at
> >my ignorance.
> >

> T'was not intentional.. You yourself said "I do not
> even know how to block outside network traffic to that port."

I was trying to use hosts.deny for this, and it clearly does not work
the way I thought it did. I thought that I could block rpcbind using

rpcbind: ALL

but my external nmap scan still found rpcbind running. Oh well. I do
not need rpcbind so I just uninstalled it.

Probably I should investigate iptables so that other services I
accidentally install do not open up security holes. I have never
enjoyed working with it, though.

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org