[kwlug-disc] VirtualBox Guest Additions in Ubuntu VM doesn't work

CrankyOldBugger crankyoldbugger at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 10:31:43 EDT 2016

I had a similar (but not exactly the same) problem yesterday.  In my case,
I'm running a Ubuntu GNOME 16.10 VM inside of VirtualBox, which is sitting
on a Windows 10 host at work.  I built the VM the day 16.10 came out, but
VB did not have up-to-date Guest Additions out yet.  Yesterday they
released an updated version of VB (5.1.8 r111374).

So to fix the non-working G/A on the VM, I needed to do:

sudo apt-get remove dkms build-essential linux-headers-*
sudo apt-get install dkms build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r)

Then after a reboot I was able to install the (new) G/As.

Hope this helps, but do keep in mind that our problems were not exactly the
same, but close.