[kwlug-disc] Strange poweron problem

B. S. bs27975 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 02:16:07 EDT 2016

On 10/09/2016 01:11 AM, William Park via kwlug-disc wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 12:01:52PM -0400, Andrew Kohlsmith (mailing lists account) wrote:
>>> On Sep 29, 2016, at 11:58 AM, CrankyOldBugger <crankyoldbugger at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I've bought a couple of Anker 4 port hubs to replace that 7 port
>>> job.  I'm kind of sad that I'll be losing the power switches on each
>>> port but if the hub is failing then there's not much else I can do.
>>
>> I really like the Orico USB2 and USB3 hubs I got from Canada
>> Computers. Haven???t taken one apart yet but they look good, some have
>> power switches for the ports, and have decent quality power supplies
>> and (in the case of USB3) high-current charging ports.
>
> +1.
>
> I bought Orico USB2 10-port hub, because it came with power supply (36W)
> sufficient to power all 10 ports all occupied (25W).  Other hubs cannot
> power all their ports at the same time, which is scam really.

Check me on this ...

Such means USB length is essentially infinite? IIRC, USB max. is 30',
unless (powered) signal repeated - such as by these, daisy chained, even?

Still limited to the max. bandwidth when it finally enters the computer,
but this issue diminishes with USB 3, especially as hubs going outwards
are also USB 3. i.e. If really far away, first hub or more could be USB
2, as long as accumulation of such USB 2 hubs into the first USB 3 hub
doesn't exceed USB 3 bandwidth.

[This matters as I have zoneminder set up, with USB cameras - far
cheaper / perhaps more effective, than IP cameras). USB length becomes
an issue. {Even a 486 handled 5 such cameras at 320 pixels, greyscale.}
Was fostering a feral cat at the time, and needed to see when he came
out from under the sofa so he could be socialized. Limited camera field
of view is annoying!]

And by going in to different (non-shared) ports into the computer, one
could presumably have a star of multiple chains of USB devices in all
direction and far longer than the 30' USB spec. As long as there's a
wall socket to power the hubs along the way. Unless I'm misunderstanding
something?