[kwlug-disc] Anyone seeing an up and coming alternative to the pending hub.docker.com changes.

Hubert Chathi hubert at uhoreg.ca
Wed Nov 30 10:51:26 EST 2016

On Sun, 27 Nov 2016 20:43:55 +0000, Chamunks <chamunks at gmail.com> said:

> Seems that Docker is moving more and more to a proprietary model which
> scares me because I heavily rely on this software for what I do and
> really don't want to have to start hunting for alternatives already.
> I've noticed that all the new UI at https://store.docker.com/ doesn't
> seem to bother to present links back to source dockerfiles and git
> repositories.  These are things that I value highly because not only
> do I use docker to simplify running apps but I use it for learning how
> they work, and where all the moving bits are.

I might switch to quay.io, which apparently supports autobuilding from
GitLab or any other git repository, and not just GitHub and BitBucket.
It looks like they provide links to the source repositories (if
available), and though it doesn't seem to link to the source Dockerfiles
themselves, you can view the layers that make up the image, which gives
you mostly the same information (minus comments).