[kwlug-disc] Secure IM news

Nick Guenther nguenthe at uwaterloo.ca
Sat Nov 26 13:21:37 EST 2016

Le 26 novembre 2016 12:25:40 HNE, "B. S." <bs27975 at gmail.com> a écrit :
>> it would be ideal that we try and find a system that they can't have
>> one centralized location to squat in and collect our metadata.
>
>Does that not exist already in Tor?

Only if all the servers you use are .onion hidden services. If you go from exit nodes to talk.google.com you made as little progress as using Tor to access Facebook.
A fully p2p system is the best system, but it would have to be based on something like DHTs so that offline messaging could work; this was tox's idea, but I do not trust their code quality one bit; maybe they've gotten better in the years since their founding.