[kwlug-disc] OpenWRT and guest WiFi

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Nov 9 07:56:15 EST 2016

So, I wanted to setup a guest WiFi at home on my OpenWRT router. The idea
is for those who visit to be able to access the internet, but not the local
LAN.

I followed the instructions here:

https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/recipes/guest-wlan-webinterface

But, when all that was done, my laptop could not resolve DNS for any site.
Note that the steps involve configuring a Guest DNS and Guest DCHP firewall
rules. But even when I deleted those, DNS did not work still.

Luckily, I do a daily backup of the router using rsync. Once I restored all
of /etc/ back to what it was, things worked normally again.

But I still do not have a Guest WiFi.

Any pointers?
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin