[kwlug-disc] Raspberry Pi / PCDuino Wanted

Paul Gallaway paul at gallaway.ca
Mon Nov 7 22:58:02 EST 2016

Also see http://buyapi.ca
Located in Ottawa, have flat shipping rate that's reasonable (if your
order isn't too tiny) and free shipping above a certain threshold.
They offer a bunch of kits based on the Pi, arduino boards,
components, power supplies and others. They seem to carry the Ada
Fruit line I haven't actually purchased from them but I'd like to get
a HiFi Berry DAC.

I just got my first Pi set up (Pi2). It was a gift from my
brother-in-law a year or more ago and just never set it up. Rasbian
was easy to setup and I'm comfortable using it as a desktop as I run
Debian on a few other systems at home. It's quick enough for the
general browsing I occasionally do in Chromium on this system -
noticeably slower - probably unacceptable to me for daily use. Runs a
squeezelite (squeezebox), CUPS print-server, and MythTV frontend. Uses
far less power than the desktop it replaced. MythTV does struggle a
bit for MPEG recording playback, but plays anything I've transcoded to
x264 fine (I'm running over ethernet). I have the MPEG2 license, but
system seems to be just slightly underpowered to run smoothly (might
just be the other things running in the background). I've tried most
of the tweaks/optimizations from the MythTV wiki, but I think there's
a couple more permutations to try. Might just be that it needs to run
startx straight to mythfrontend without a window manager to succeed.
Playback is not as smooth looking as my NVidia VDPAU playback profiles
(obviously) but for the usage it's seeing it's totally acceptable for
my purposes. I haven't been able to get LIRC to load correctly. It's
working, but seems to be ignoring my configuration files and just
running devinput without the lirc configuration (keys don't always do
what I expect but arrow keys work just fine).

I'm not too happy with the audio quality. It may just be the computer
speakers. It doesn't cut out or get choppy or anything, but when I'm
sitting right at the desk the audio is annoying. It's fine for
background music, but when I'm sitting in front of the speakers I tend
to just turn them off. I didn't have this problem with the prior
desktop that it replaced. I may order a HiFi Berry DAC to see if it
helps.
~pAul.

all good things, all in good time...