[kwlug-disc] Copying a Windows 7 partition to a new disk

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Mar 30 17:20:36 EDT 2016

On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 5:12 PM, Daniel Villarreal
> There should be libre/open-source software out there to tell you the
> existing keys? Then, if you have the Win7 install media, you're good
> to go? Wonder if there's a way to restore activation similar to the
> old XP wpa file for Win7?

I am a totally illiterate person when it comes to Windows ...

The last version of Windows I used professionally was XP, and it was
just a workstation at my then employer. I did not do any Windows
installation / administration.

>From what I remember (could be totally wrong), the key on the bottom
of the laptop is only for the Windows version that came with it
preinstalled. Upgrades to that do not use the same key.

That Windows installation is used maybe once a year for obscure tasks
that work no where else (e.g. changing the subscription of a Magic
Jack, accessing a Sony Xperia phone ...etc.)