[kwlug-disc] Copying a Windows 7 partition to a new disk

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Wed Mar 30 14:33:24 EDT 2016

My go-to tool for these kinds of migrations is Clonezilla. You
probably have to ensure that the order of the partitions is the same,
but it should be able to copy Windows well.

My workflow in this situation would be:

- Use Clonezilla to clone the entire drive (including the separated
  Linux partitions)
- Make sure everything boots okay on the new drive.
- Now use a live environment with GParted to delete the Linux
  partitions you wish to reconfigure
- Restore from backup
- Run grub-install (?) to regenerate the boot loader so you can keep
  dual-booting

I am not promising that this will be flawless, and I have not carried
out this exact workflow, but I think that it is reasonably low risk.
The cost is that you are copying the Linux partition twice, but I
don't see that as a dealbreaker.

- Paul