[kwlug-disc] Techcrunch: Microsoft is bringing the Bash shell to Windows 10 [was: Linuxaria: Open Source Has Taken over the Software Industry]

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Wed Mar 30 13:04:29 EDT 2016

It gets worse. Or better, depending on our point of view:

http://techcrunch.com/2016/03/30/be-very-afraid-hell-has-frozen-over-bash-is-coming-to-windows-10/

> [...] developers will now be able to write their .sh Bash scripts
> on Windows, as well (or use macs to edit their code). Microsoft
> noted that this will work through a new Linux subsystem in Windows
> 10 that Microsoft worked on with Canonical.

[...]

> The idea here is clearly to position Windows as a better operating
>  system for developers who want to target other platforms besides
> Microsoft’s own. Under its new CEO Satya Nadella, the company has
> quickly embraced the idea that it wants to target all developers
> and platforms — not just its own.

[...]

> Bash will arrive as part of the Windows 10 Anniversary Update this
>  summer, but it’ll be available to Windows Insiders before that.
> And looking ahead, Microsoft says it may bring other shells to
> Windows over time, too.

Extrapolating from what Russell said, I won't be surprised if the
"Cloud" edition of Windows is actually all GNU/Linux with merely a
desktop manager that looks like MS-Windows.

- --Bob.

On 2016-03-14 08:15 AM, Russell McOrmond wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 13, 2016 at 4:10 PM, B.S. <bs27975 at yahoo.ca> wrote:
>>
>> I believe this, in and of itself, is erroneous. And what I mean
>> / what went through my mind in reading your note, is that cloud
>> storage, in any mass repository / facility, particularly if the
>> vendor is providing the service to multiple clients, is that the
>> use of such facilities will be subject to their TOS.
>

> You do realize you took most of your message to discuss "the cloud"
> (server infrastructure where the owner of the data isn't the same
> as the owner of the hardware, as would be the case for a server
> room inside a corporation) in response to a message I wrote about
> desktops?
>
> I agree with most of what you wrote about non-user controlled ICT
> when it comes to the cloud, so that isn't the area we likely
> disagree with.  You believe what I said was erroneous as you
> thought I was saying that non-user controlled ICT was "safe", when
> in fact I was talking about how nearly all desktop computers are
> also non-user controlled ICT and is as unsafe as people perceive
> "the cloud" to be.
>
> I am saying it is not the physical location of the hard disks, CPU
> or RAM that determines who controls a computer.  Computers do what
> the software tells it to do, and who decides what software can and
> cannot run on a computer is who controls it.  People *should* be
> as sceptical of the operations of most of the devices sitting in
> their pocket/desktop/home/etc as they are about "the cloud".
>

> Yes, but what we're talking about here is general attitude towards
> cloud. I
>> don't expect many will so manage the entire software stack. The
>> majority of users will still not be so covered.
>>

> Agreed, which is true of both desktop and cloud computing.   I
> suspect the percentage of people who control the entire software
> stack on the server side is much higher than it is on the desktop
> side, even if those percentages are small in both cases.
>
> In essence, you're also pointing out that we all need to do a
> better job
>> with desktop computers, too.
>

> In
> http://mcormond.blogspot.ca/2016/03/windows-10-last-desktop-version-of.html

I suggest we should do away with the concept of a "one size fits all"