[kwlug-disc] Ota TV CITV down?

Tue Mar 29 09:09:59 EDT 2016

> On Mar 29, 2016, at 7:09 AM, Herman Gruetzmacher <hgruetzmacher at gmail.com> wrote:
> No CHCH, CITS, OMNI1 or OMNi2? I plan to move my 8-bay antenna, are you
> suggesting it didn't help so you put up a smaller antenna? For CBC I usually
> watch the news live, none of the other shows interest me? I am guessing the
> app doesn't do live streams?

You may be able to pick up the stronger stations off the CN tower with a little engineering. I was able to pick up everything (even the weak signals) from the CN tower when I lived on the east side of Chicopee Hill. While that is closer to Toronto than New Hamburg you may have a decent shot at the tower if you try a more focused antenna. I was using a (IIRC 9.5dBi) Yagi with a custom 4:1 voltage balun and a Kitztech KT-200 LNA at the antenna.

I chose the Kitztech over other amplifiers due to the low noise figure, and I’d tuned the balun to minimize losses at the weakest channel (CITY, 2.2kW) on the CN Tower. Unfortunately the channels you list (OMNI1 22kW, CITS 20kW, OMNI2 18kW) are all on the weaker side, and CITS isn’t broadcasting from the tower at all. CBC should come screaming in though; I was able to pick up CBC with a small patch antenna inside my house.

An ancient link back to the time I was experimenting with OTA: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/81-over-air-ota-digital-television/100512-baluns-brands-designs-losses-diy-loops-etc-34.html

-A.