[kwlug-disc] udisksd slow to mount USB stick

B.S. bs27975 at yahoo.ca
Thu Mar 24 19:58:36 EDT 2016

He was only suggesting for the purposes / long enough for testing / discerning if it had any impact, timewise. i.e. It would reduce the uncertainty as to whether this is a hardware or a software issue. Never mind the key vs the usb port, hardware side.

You didn't note how long your commands took - did it seam reasonable or excessively long or ???

Seems like you'd find it useful if you had a baseline. So, if you stick this in something else, is there a noticeable time difference? And if you stick another in this one? Even a Windows machine is fine, since, it seems, you are noticing a significant lag in things now, vs this key prior. So even on Windows you should notice it taking longer than you think it should. i.e. Does the problem follow the key or stay with the machine.

Are there udev logs or such about you can turn on / take a gander at? From your description, it sounds like something is thrashing about in circles until something times out and it settles on / defaults to ... working. kern.log?

And, coming to mind ... have you tried rewriting the boot block? (In a windows machine, or the scanner itself?) IIRC, the first thing checked for is (a) what type of beastie are you, and if storage, (b) what type.

If useful, in the past I believe I have used http://usbmst.sourceforge.net/ for testing.

When I had conflicting USB webcams, I had to define rules in /etc/udev/rules.d. Perhaps if it's thrashing on the mount you can put something in there to pin / settle it down faster?