[kwlug-disc] udisksd slow to mount USB stick

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Thu Mar 24 19:52:52 EDT 2016

In one of the CCC presentations I heard a few years ago, Bunny Huang
said that the memory in SD cards and thumb drives were notoriously
unreliable, every device requiring an on-board processor to maintain
data accuracy by error correction. He told of "large" 2 GByte chips
failing 3/4 of their memory tests, and so being reconfigured as 512
MByte chips.  But this statement made me worry. Bunny said "these
chips don't store your data, they store a statistical approximation of
your data."

Perhaps your drive is reaching its end-of-life. If that tiny onboard
processor has to recreate your data from statistical approximations
every time you insert it in your computer, perhaps it's time to get a
new one.

- --Bob.

The Exploration and Exploitation of an SD Memory Card [30c3]:
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj-zI8Tl218