[kwlug-disc] SONiC is not a hedgehog

B.S. bs27975 at yahoo.ca
Thu Mar 10 07:52:25 EST 2016

I wonder if MS is taking a page / learning from Oracle in terms of apps as a profit centre through addons and base / community editions. Not that I know how successful Oracle has been in that. e.g. java, virtualbox, sql (?). IIRC, MS has consolidated development tools and has Lite versions, and vm's even, so 'free' is perhaps not new, vs this addition of Open Source.

Haven't heard anything re: OS' either. Even if I had, IIUC, a open source Win 10 version would have forked over spyware / turning off MS seeing all that one does. (?)

Has the model for serious profits out of FOSS bases now been established / proven? In Redhat?