[kwlug-disc] RJ45 crimper -- good brand?

B.S. bs27975.2 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 19:52:03 EDT 2016

There has been good advice in this thread.

I forget whether you said this is for work or home - definitely for work
you want something you have absolute confidence in. You don't want to
come back months later to find the problem stems from a bad crimp. e.g.
Low throughput due to high crosstalk ... if you ever even discover just
why your network is performing sub-optimally. For home you might not do
so many in your lifetime, but you're probably only going to buy one of
these in your lifetime - you won't want to put out for the absolute
cat's meow, but you won't want the cheapest, either. Looks like you're
shortlisting prudently.

I haven't used such myself, but I think (Bob's?) suggestion is smart -
the connectors where the wires go all the way through then get trimmed.
When I wired the house I was always extra shoving and ramming the wires
in, once I got them in the right (*&^*(&% order. And always wondered if
something didn't quite get all the way in there.

I ran cable from a punched box in each room to the basement, merely
terminating the wires there (to go directly into a switch). Since, I've
often wished I had punched them into a block and bought a bunch of short
cables. I would always go into a punch down block at work.

Forget about Cat6 crimping entirely, stick to 5e. Cedric entirely
explained why some time ago. Summary: No point; not humanly possible;
anyone suggesting such in the workplace has zero credibility. (And, Cat6
over 5e brings value in few cases - mostly only inter-server within a
server room, so buy cert. patches. i.e. Across rooms you'll punch down,
anyways.)

I like the idea of a tester in the handle - I'll guess it can only
handle shorts, as I don't see something like a tone generator for the
other end. If for work, consider such testing equipment, especially if
it will confirm (validate) 2Gps - 1Gbps Ethernet is actually 2, 1Gps
each way simultaneously. Without such testing, there's no way to know if
you'll actually get 2Gbps out of it - and you WANT such certainty. (One
less possibility to worry about, when you inevitably do have to try and
figure out why things are working sub-optimally.) Home equipment can't
drive things faster than 5e - other bottlenecks get in the way, first.
Unless you have a server farm in your basement ... in which case - see
'Use cert. patch cords.'

You might be going about this 'backwards' - in the 'end' it's all about
the connector. Going to your HD link, I see some connectors have extra
pieces, such as strain relief. Probably a good thing. But perhaps
connectors that can take wires all the way through need a different
crimper that trims such? So pick your favourite connector, then the
crimper that corresponds?

Walking away from a crimp wondering if you got it perfect or not isn't a
good feeling, particularly repeatedly.