[kwlug-disc] Converting .pptx files to multiple .png

B. S. bs27975 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 17:36:02 EDT 2016

On 06/20/2016 04:20 PM, Alex K wrote:
> LibreOffice can batch convert:
>
> --convert-to output_file_extension[:output_filter_name] [--outdir
> output_dir] files
>        Batch convert files.
>        If --outdir is not specified then current working dir is used as
> output_dir.
>        Eg. --convert-to pdf *.doc
>            --convert-to pdf:writer_pdf_Export --outdir /home/user *.doc

Cool.

Reality check me here, please ...

 From what I've seen, impress doesn't well suck up power point. The guts
seem all there, but the layout is often schmucked. On a go forward
basis, I've sometimes fixed it all to have a non-proprietary / will
always work set of slides that won't have the 'player' pulled out from
under its feet. Or redone the thing in native impress.

However, there's lots of power point out there. There is a standalone
win power point viewer, but it feels like there oughta be a (web) player
out there, much like any audio/video player/plugin, to forever work in
something like chromium, at least. Am I dreaming?

Power point content is essentially a database (just as xml is). Is
impress still the best reasonable way to initially create such beasties?

Hadn't thought of exporting to png as Bob is thinking, nor much
considered export to pdf beyond whole slides. i.e. no transitions. Does
inkscape, krita, svg editors, or image viewers, bring anything to this
party? (A 'player' would make Bob's png's unneeded?) Export to flash or
html5?