[kwlug-disc] Simple computer inventory software

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Fri Aug 19 22:08:18 EDT 2016

Is there some software that satisfies the following requirements?

- FLOSS
- Can run on a Linux web server
- Allows me to keep a collection of nodes (in my case, lab computers)
- Allows me to EASILY enter new notes as a worklog for a lab computer
- Allows me to EASILY choose one of the lab computers without a lot of
  clicks
- Allows me to see the log histor for a lab computer
- Ideally, lets me index computers via a unique identifier (MAC
  address, serial number...) and a common name (the name of the
  computer in the lab).

There are a bunch of inventory systems out there (OpenBravo,
Open-AudIT, GLPI) but they all want to do way too much. I am JUST
looking to keep notes on lab computers as they develop problems.

We have some spreadsheet to do this now, but the spreadsheet is not
convenient for us to do data entry when we need data entry.

This is the kind of project one could code up in Django or Ruby on
Rails with a few weeks of effort, but if something good exists we
should just use that.

- Paul

--
Electoral reform info sessions: Sept 8, 21, 28, 29.
Consultations: Tuesdays at Queen Street Commons through Aug & Sept.