[kwlug-disc] Website management tools

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Fri Aug 12 21:03:12 EDT 2016

Drupal would not be a better option if updating your site is a chore for
you. Whether it is Drupal, Wordpress Ruby on Rails or any other content
management system (CMS) that is currently in vogue, it is 'software' which
means it has to be kept up to date with security releases.

One approach is to use your CMS as a static HTML generator, and the outside
world would not have any access to the dynamic site. This means that some
things will not work, such as commenting on content, or rating it, ...etc.
But it also has an advantage that the site is static and hence very fast.

For a regular CMS like Drupal or Wordpress, it takes some trickery to do
that. For example, you can have the dynamic site hosted inside your home
network, and use a daily crawler to create the static version and copy it
to where you are hosting it. You can automate this using cron, and things
work out well. I am using something like that for my sites, but not exactly
that. I am doing a talk on it for the Waterloo Region Drupal Users Group in
a couple of months.

There are some generators that specialize in creating static content.You
can read about them here:

https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2015/11/modern-static-website-generators-next-big-thing/

Having a desktop application to do web site publishing from it is a totally
different ball game, and would have to be evaluated after you settle on a
CMS or generator first.

On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 9:37 AM, CrankyOldBugger <crankyoldbugger at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I currently have my wife's website running on WordPress.  It's hosted on a
> very cheap (i.e. free) provider that I got in under the radar, so to
> speak.  I have two other sites with this same host. With the constant
> barrage of security updates, site-related issues, and other WP annoyances,
> I've decided that I no longer like WordPress.  So I've been shopping around
> for an alternative.
>
> All three of my sites are using WP, as a matter of fact, so I could
> experiment on one of my own sites before I start messing with my wife's
> site (as it's for her business).
>
> I started these sites with WP as they really are simple blog sites, and
> back in the day WP was actually fun to use.  Now it's a pain in the <place
> where you don't really want pain>.
>
> I was looking at Drupal but someone told me that it was very finicky and
> needed constant fine tuning.
>
> Her requirements are relatively simple:
>
> 1) Low maintenance for me (i.e. without the constant barrage of security
> updates that I finally gave up on and now ignore regularly)
> 2) Some way for my wife to post new articles in a blog-like fashion from
> her Ubuntu laptop or her Android tablet.  Please keep in mind that while
> she's very smart, she wants something very simple and easy to use (and she
> doesn't want to learn any programming).
> 3) We don't (at this time) need any ecommerce type stuff (we're not
> selling stuff online), but we would probably be open to some simple tricks
> like having a customer fill out a form with their contact information, that
> sort of thing.  So HTTPS isn't mandatory (although it wouldn't hurt).

Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.
Fast Reliable Drupal
wrong." -- H.L. Mencken