[kwlug-disc] Website management tools

Myles Braithwaite me at mylesbraithwaite.com
Fri Aug 12 17:05:19 EDT 2016

CrankyOldBugger wrote:
> The end goal is to make it so that Jean can upload whatever she wants
> without having to depend on me to help.  Ideally we'd like to keep her
> website in a blog format and hope that there's some sort of Linux
> desktop client that simplifies uploading for her.

WordPress does have their own desktop client now[0] for Linux (as while
as an Android app[1]). As long as you don't activate any plugins that
interfere with uploading files (e.x. a plugin that uploads files to S3)
it's a simple interface for writing content on your blog.

The only issue is you will need to get a WordPress.com login and install
the extension JetPack to use their applications.

I manage a WordPress blog and one of the things that help manage it is
WP-CLI[2], it's a command line interface for managing a WordPress
instance. I even wrote a fabfile.py[3] so all I have to do `fab backup
update_all` which will backup the WordPress data (database and wp-config
file) and update all installed plugins, themes, and the WordPress itself.

[0]: <https://apps.wordpress.com/desktop/>
[1]: <https://apps.wordpress.com/mobile/>
[2]: <http://wp-cli.org/>
[3]: <https://github.com/myles/myles.life/blob/master/fabfile.py>