[kwlug-disc] Website management tools

B. S. bs27975 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 10:14:12 EDT 2016

blogger?

facebook?

google plus?

google apps / site?

Such seem to have been making efforts towards meeting the needs of small
businesses, perhaps they have evolved to a point you find sufficient.
Working on the K.I.S.S. principle, and the likelihood of good
documentation and help for any given thing.

I would be surprised if each satisfactory blogging solution didn't have
some form of 'contact me' present as well. Question will be, if such
isn't exactly what is desired, is the effort delta to deliver that delta
really worth it to her.

Consider whether you need one stop shopping / one size fits all
solution, or not. Just as your e-mail and web servers can be in two
completely different places in the world, you could pick 'best of breed'
for each class of functionality you need. e.g. www.mydomain.com ==
mywifes.blogger.com, and have a static contact form web page elsewhere
at contactme.mydomain.com.

You might google about around Google Sites / Apps
https://apps.google.com/products/sites/ to see what's what. There are a
number of 'plugins' possible, you may be able to find sufficiently good
while limiting such so that you don't have to swallow 'all
possibilities' (and the accompanying maintenance burden). All while
integrating with all google'ness, including the measures google evolves
for security / abuse prevention. I'm not advocating google, but it may
define a possibility range to look for / avoid when comparing other
solutions.

Thinking back to the kwlug.org platform discussion not long ago, there
was some advocacy for what is essentially static web pages. There may be
some merit in that - it sounded like 'create a document', 'git push',
and get on with your day.