[kwlug-disc] 4TB drive throwing errors - what's current drive thinking these days?

CrankyOldBugger crankyoldbugger at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 08:17:24 EDT 2016

One universal constant in HDDs...  Most everybody has their preferred
brand, usually WD or Seagate.  I was a WD fan for many years but after
replacing my n+1th drive, I thought I would give Seagate a try.  The
Seagates that I bought worked well.  So I bought more, in particular four
of the 3TB Baracudas.  Then a year or so later I read that big HDD review
(that was mentioned in this email chain a while ago the name of which I
forget) where they said that this particular 3TB Seagate was very prone to
failures.  And guess which drives in my NAS have been doing the funny
blinking lately?  So I did a lot of reading and found that while the 3TBs
Seagates were crap, the 4TBs were actually pretty good.  I've already
swapped one dead 3TB for a 4TB and I have a couple of 4TBs on the shelf
waiting for their chance.

Moral of the story?  It's not the manufacturer that you should be concerned
about, it's that exact model number that you need to investigate.  In my
case (pun intended) I'm sticking with the ST4000VN000 Seagates.