[kwlug-disc] Let's Encrypt out of beta

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Fri Apr 15 17:12:18 EDT 2016

Hubert wrote:
> The problem here is that the code is a secondary issue.  The
> important part is that their signing key is trusted by the
> browsers, and for obvious reasons, they can't open source their
> signing key.

In fact, the fundamental problem is that the whole PKI system is
inadequate, and probably doesn't achieve its mandate.

Check your browser: Mine has over 120 "trusted" Certificate
Authorities, plus 20 servers that have issued certificates, plus
another 7 in "Others".  Some of those "trusted" CAs are known to have
issued bogus certificates (Comodo, Diginotar). And why should I trust
some CA called "Baltimore" to certify companies like Microsoft,
DigiCert and Verizon?

And I'm using IceCat, which is likely to trust fewer certs and CAs
than, oh, Internet Explorer.

But these Certificate Authorities pay tens of thousands of dollars to
be included in the browsers' "trusted CA" list; what FLOSS browser
provider is going to refuse that revenue stream by turning away
lesser-known companies that claim to be "Certificate Authorities"?

Another big beef of mine is that for self-signed certificates that I
*do* trust, browsers are now throwing up errors that would alarm the
most easygoing web surfers. If anything, self-signed certificates are
more trustworthy than the ones signed by the browser CAs, because
they're likely to be from people I know, who understand enough about
crypto to create their own certs.

Part of the problem is that the current PKI system conflates
'security' with 'authentication'. The current system is pretty good at
providing security: a stream of data that can't be viewed by
third-parties, is unaltered from what was sent, and is from the owner
of the certificate. But this last point is where authentication fails.
We need to take pains to verify the certificate when we first receive
it (TOFU, Trust On First Use), otherwise we're blindly "trusting" the
CA list in the browser.

Hubert is right, DANE is the way to fix this properly. In the
meantime, Monkeysphere, anyone?  http://web.monkeysphere.info/

- --Bob.

DANE:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNS-based_Authentication_of_Named_Entities