[kwlug-disc] Let's Encrypt out of beta

Kirk Zurell kirk at kirk.zurell.name
Fri Apr 15 13:21:38 EDT 2016

(Jumping in here unbidden)

A less fragile model is a co-op: members band together to pay for the
software and infrastructure to administer certificates (or other
identity products). It's not vanilla not-for-profit, it's not
government, but it's not flighty private interests who can suddenly
lose interest either.

Paul's observation of the "fragile" structure under Let's Encrypt is
not FUD, not for technology that amounts to civic infrastructure (ie.,
it's not completely voluntary). I'm the person who first(?) mouthed
off about LE at The Working Centre, thinking primarily of immediate
practical demands, but its organizational provenance needs a careful
eye kept on it.

Kirk