[kwlug-disc] Let's Encrypt out of beta

B.S. bs27975 at yahoo.ca
Fri Apr 15 07:25:33 EDT 2016

>________________________________

Fair enough, but that is the norm.

Any product that loses it's corporate sponsorship, which is to say, isn't revenue positive to keep the ship afloat, lives that same reality.

Imagine if Microsoft disappears. Or Google. Although we might in theory not really regret the loss, such would definitely leave a gaping hole in our electronic world, if not for us, then for those with whom we are surrounded, and thus impacted by. At least until some phoenix rises from the ashes. (Think Netscape.)

Imagine if Google didn't fund so many other things, at a loss, even. Such as Android. Consider the impact of Rim's troubles.

Or abandoned FOSS. (e.g. TrueCrypt.)

Something has to pay the bills. Be it proprietary, or sponsored, or ... nothing. What you describe is the norm.

Even the the Yahoo/DKIM change has impacted this list and yourself/ourselves (in the time and energy and eyespace required to deal with change).

Things are certain and dependable, until they're not - but not until they're not.

FUD without basis imposes its own wide counter-productive swath, too.

The only constant is change.