[kwlug-disc] Problem reaching server

B.S. bs27975 at yahoo.ca
Sun Mar 15 00:11:28 EDT 2015

> This is getting interesting, to say the least.  I can hit those VMs
> with no problems, but my ownCloud install is inaccessible (as well as the
> server itself).

Help us out ... this is from outside your premises to within?

Your OwnCloud is a box within your premises or a vm or?

If you can hit a vm (via ssh, say), are you then able to get to the
server? e.g. Does it ping, even if it won't give you an ssh prompt?

If it gives you an ssh prompt from the vm, then you have a routing or
permissions (e.g. firewall) issue. If it won't even ping then you have a
hardware or software ethernet issue, and the only way you're going to
get useful information to figure this out is from the server itself.
'ifconfig', 'route', and 'iptables -L' will be useful information to be
able to help. If nothing can get in, that server's state or perception
of the world is the only thing that will help. Given that you can get
through the server, it's not likely a hardware issue.

Given that this was working for you, likely a bug was introduced. Which
is to say, a followup update may resolve the issue, and any corrective
action you do now to fix things may have to be reversed upon software
update.

Going forwards, consider establishing a reverse ssh tunnel from the
server to a vm or other internal machine. I've seen where current
connections stay stable, it's only new connections that are prevented.
Then, at need, you could reverse ssh in from that endpoint to see what's
going on / fix - if only to trigger a reboot. (And a reboot may be a
nasty thing - essentially summarily yanking the power from any vm's, etc.)