[kwlug-disc] Problem reaching server

B.S. bs27975 at yahoo.ca
Sat Mar 14 00:09:30 EDT 2015

I have also been experiencing disappearing connectivity since early this
year with a remote K/Ubuntu 14.04. eth0 appear up and happy per
ifconfig, but nothing pings.

So ... possibly this has nothing to do with vm's.

In my case, this started happening on a second machine within the last
week or so - the only common factor to the two is running openvpn.

I had suspected route munging with vpns going up and down, but have
since seen ifconfig with ok listing and unable to ping other nodes on
the net. In this case 'ifconfig eth0 down' ... 'ifconfig eth0 up'
brought things back to life.

Which is all to say ... it's possible the problems you are experiencing
lie at a lower hardware / ethernet level than vm (or openvpn). [Mind
you, the bridge being in/accessible will likely also cause routes to go
up and down. Perhaps a commonality.]

In the first machine's case I set cron to reboot it  daily and haven't
had a problem since. Since I can't be in front of it when it gets this
way to diagnose it, and only being in front of it in such circumstances
is useful for trying to figure out what's going on. Remotely, if it's
inaccessible, it's inaccessible, you're done - you have to beat on it
from the inside (direct keyboard) to examine state, cause, and remediation.

So ... problems may be at a lower level than application software.

FWIW.