[kwlug-disc] Seat chart software

Hubert Chathi hubert at uhoreg.ca
Fri Mar 13 14:39:57 EDT 2015

On Fri, 13 Mar 2015 13:13:39 -0400, Paul Nijjar <paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca> said:

> On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 12:55:27PM -0400, Myles Braithwaite wrote:
>>
>> Have you tried using a Diagram software like Dia[1]? You could just
>> use circles for tables, squares for people, and connect them to each
>> other using lines.
>>
>> [1]: <https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Dia>

> Yes, I could use Dia or Inkscape to make a floorplan. But this does
> not make it easy to associate extra information with individual
> tables.

In Inkscape, you can right-click on an object, and select object
properties, and add a "description", which could contain whatever
information you want.

There is also Visual Understanding Environment (VUE)
http://vue.tufts.edu/index.cfm, which focuses more on organizing
information, which allows you to attach information to nodes.  It is
much more limited in its drawing abilities, and it's a bit harder to
figure out.  But if you're not too concerned about having an ugly
seating plan, then you can give it a try.