[kwlug-disc] Nonprofit sysadmin meetup

B.S. bs27975 at yahoo.ca
Mon Mar 9 17:26:41 EDT 2015

Budgets are budgets.

Priorities are priorities.

There are only so many hours in a day, and only so much can reasonably
be done with the available resources.

Else is personally self-defeating leading to stress and burnout. Doing
nobody any real good and delivering no real value.

Seems to be useful to remember to be user driven, not we can therefore
we should (squeeze the last use out of a 386 that only the techie cares
about). Even today we seem to build it thinking they will come, and they
don't.

It's also easy to forget that there is an amazing amount of overlap
between organizations, and just because you can't do something doesn't
mean it isn't being done and available to the CM elsewhere - and
probably being done better. (Due to the other organization's slightly
different focus.)

Linux principles seem to apply - do one thing, and do that one thing
exceedingly well. The Working Centre is an example of this, except, it
does many one things very, and uniquely, well in this area.

But there are still budgets, priorities, only so many hours in a day,
and only so much of one to go around while staying 'healthy'.