[kwlug-disc] Router dying?

CrankyOldBugger crankyoldbugger at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 12:57:02 EDT 2015

Well last night was an adventure...

I bought the TL-WDR4300, which is essentially the 3600 with another
antenna.

I downloaded the openWRT firmware while I was at work so that I would be
ready.  For safety, I also downloaded the latest version of TP-link's
firmware, just in case.

Booted up the new router, went straight into installing openWRT.  It
dropped in without any problems.

But for the life of me, I couldn't get the router to talk to the cable
modem for the internet.

I spent several hours tinkering but to no avail.

So I grabbed the tp-link firmware and found that, while this was the latest
version, you couldn't install it for some wild reason.  Instead, you have
to take the version I d/l'd and actually trim it down, using:

dd if=orig.bin of=tplink.bin skip=257 bs=512

I had to find this out by surfing on my cellphone.. Life without internet
can be so frustrating!

This trimmed version of the factory firmware installed without too much
hassle.

So, long story short, I can get some clients out to the internet now.  Some
clients just won't talk to me at all (like the Synology NAS, for example),
but that could be IP or firewall issues.  I will continue to beat it with a
sledge tonight until it surrenders.

On the positive side, I now have a good reason to redraw all my DHCP
reservations, VNC port redirects, etc., into a more "planned out" look,
instead of the current haphazard arrangement.