[kwlug-disc] Video archivist/website designer wanted

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Mon Jun 8 23:51:24 EDT 2015

On Mon, Jun 08, 2015 at 11:38:40PM -0400, Kyle Farwell wrote:

> On June 8, 2015 10:44:25 PM EDT, Paul Nijjar <paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca> wrote:
> >So Colin and Gheorghe have been videotaping KWLUG meetings. It would
> >be nice to collect these meetings and post links to them on the KWLUG
> >website, and then make an RSS feed to serve as a kind of video
> >podcast.
> >
> >I want this to happen. I wish I was not the person obligated to do it.
> >Would one of you industrious people be willing to work on this? I can
> >help you get set up on the KWLUG website side.

> I'd like to give this a shot. Are you thinking of using Drupal and
> integrating this on the KWLUG site, or just posting links to another
> site (maybe with a fancy interface like MediaGoblin)?

To start: just making playlists of the episodes (Gheorghe has posted
his in 10 minute increments, which should be stitched together with a
Youtube playlist) and then making blog posts (or maybe posts of a
different Drupal content type).  Then we can make a Drupal view and
use it to make an RSS feed of video posts.

We would post links to other sites (primarily Youtube, although
archive.org would be cute if we could get permission from the
videographers), not host content on kwlug.org .

> >In other news, it would also be nice to move our current website to
> >Drupal 7 (or Drupal 8). I would like to see this happen too, and
> >although I guess I should just get around to doing it I have not done
> >so yet. Would anybody like some Drupal development experience? I have
> >in my head some of the changes that should be made for the new version
> >of the website.

> I have almost no Drupal experience but am interested in learning. I do
> have web design experience. If that is helpful, I can help with this
> too.

Great! This project will probably take a little longer to get off the
ground. One place to start will be to document what is working about
the current site, and what should be changed. I have some of this in
my head but nothing written down on electrons. Other people might
have feedback as well.

Other people are also welcome to help with one or both of these
projects.

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org