[kwlug-disc] Linux Conference

B. S. bs27975 at yahoo.ca
Thu Jun 4 12:59:46 EDT 2015

There are also UoW people on this list whom will have seen your message.

No doubt there is both academic and non-academic community interest, likely just a matter of people showing the interest and putting in the time to organize and execute. Whether there is sufficient community interest is probably hard to gauge. Paul / Software Freedom Day would also bring some expertise in these senses to your party. Same with those doing Ubuntu hour / release parties, Drupal group, and so on and so forth. There's a Waterloo events calendar (Lori?) around somewhere. Seeing how well, or not, such events are attended may be helpful to you.

I don't know how in/formal your day would have to be to be successful, let alone the definition of success. These groups and the OnLinux organizations may be helpful in those respects. Time of year will also matter. AFAIK kwlug is less attended in summer, and except for co-op, students not in town for classes aren't present to attend anything.

One of the things that have been problematic is the apparent divergent interests of the academics vs the wider user community. e.g. Sufficient interest in Languages / kernel vs application use such as gimp or Libre Office. Presumably manageable by collecting 'common' topics in time blocks. Presumably 'running your small business on Linux' (be it accounting software, VoIP, or marketing / web) will always have some low level of interest in the area.

GL&HF