[kwlug-disc] Windows to support SSH?

B. S. bs27975 at yahoo.ca
Wed Jun 3 17:02:00 EDT 2015

Confused.

Cygwin.

Bash.

SSH.

Done. No stinking versions, no anything else ... it's ... just ... done. (And one can just get on with their day of using the hammer, the same hammer they use everywhere else, not having to figure out which hammer they're holding at that moment.) [For that matter, perl, php, <pick your favourite language>.]

I expect the significance of the Windows announcement will be more that accounts / groups / permissions will be tied into the windows back end. Which will no doubt be wrinkly and weird (to get used to).

Never mind windows telnet (with NTLM, i.e. secure) authentication is already present throughout.

Take things a bit further, since some like screen, etc., ... will (windows) ssh actually (by itself) buy you anything (that you don't already have)? If you have to load cygwin to get screen, you've already got ssh and so on, so does the windows announcement really matter? Add in VNC and ... is any of this really newsworthy?

[Glad for the post of the announcement, interesting and better to know than not, but not sure it much matters.]