[kwlug-disc] Problems with Ubuntu 14.04 sound

Keefer Rourke keefer.rourke at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 08:57:49 EST 2015

I have a laptop that is dual booted with Windows 8.1 and Ubuntu 14.10
(horrible set up in my opinion, but I need to be able to play MuhGames™),
and it seems that randomly upon booting into Ubuntu the sound will
sometimes be muted, though this mostly occurs when I boot Windows and then
reboot into Ubuntu.

I think this problem might be similar to the one described, though I've
never put much thought into it. As a workaround so I needn't press that
mute/unmute keyboard button every time I login, I added 'amixer sset Master
unmute' (without quotes) to my .xprofile file. This unmutes the Master
channel, which is the one I found to be problematic, automatically on login.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Keefer