[kwlug-disc] Getting around firewalls

Jason Locklin locklin.jason at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 18:45:37 EST 2015

I really doubt the school board does deep packet inspection. It's client
isolation that's your problem, as Lori said. You should switch to ad-hoc
networking, set up a device as an access point, or bring in a wifi
router to act as one. With client isolation, no two wireless devices can
communicate with each other. U.W. does this too. It's presumably to
prevent file sharing or hacking of mis-configured devices. You need your
own wireless network (or wired one).

Theoretically, you *could* connect both devices to a third SSH server
somewhere on the internet and forward a connection through, but that
would be more of a hassle than necessary.