[kwlug-disc] Blocking SIP registrations

Herman Gruetzmacher hgruetzmacher at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 20:29:10 EST 2015

I like voip.ms and use them too along with Unlimitel. But I am using 8 sip
phones as extensions off of my FreePBX including remote extensions (outside
of my home). The ip address of the remote extension changes as the ip
address is dynamic so I need to open up my firewall to allow remote sip
registration. fail2ban will block external ip addresses after 3 unsuccessful
attempts but there are many more registration attempts which appear to be
coming directly from my own wan, ie my external Rogers IP address. I was
thinking of using non standard sip udp ports as a starting point and port
forwarding them, is that enough? I saw this SecAst product but it appears
quite involved to set-up and was wondering if anyone else has used it.

Thanks

Herman