[kwlug-disc] Blocking SIP registrations

L.D. Paniak ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com
Tue Jan 13 18:03:52 EST 2015

Generally, an Asterisk server only needs to accept SIP connections from
a very limited number of external sites:  your VoIP provider(s) and any
external users.

The best solution is to firewall the system.  *Drop* all inbound traffic
and only allow the IP addresses of sites that need access on 5060UDP
(typically - if you have exceptions you probably already know them).
TCP ports are usually not used for SIP and only serve as an invitation
to attackers.  If unsure, block everything and then add exceptions until
the complaints stop.

Leaving a SIP server un-firewalled on the Internet is highly
un-recommendable.  In addition to SIP attacks, most SIP distributions
ship with web interfaces with rather imperfect attention to security.
These need to be firewalled as well.

Ideally, a SIP server should not appear in a TCP port scan.  If remote
access is required, a UDP VPN solution like OpenVPN works well.