[kwlug-disc] OmniROM on Acer Iconia A500 tablet

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Jan 7 09:48:25 EST 2015

If I learned something from the experience, it is that every device is
different, and what is possible with one, is not possible with others.

There are many artificial obstacles placed by the vendor and/or the network.

For example, my Sony Xperia ZL has OmniROM available for it. But its
bootloader is locked. There are ways to still put a custom ROM on it,
but you need to root it first, which is not possible with the new
KitKat upgrade that it got in December.

Moreover, Bell and Rogers do lock the devices they sell, so the
bootloader cannot be unlocked.

The Acer A500 bootloader locking scheme was very simple: a CPU ID that
is returned over USB when the tablet is put in the so called APX mode,
and from that, a secure boot key [SBK] is calculated and used for all
subsequent nvflash commands.

So, it all depends on the specific device. Search Google and
xda-developers.com for your specific device. It may be easy, hard or
impossible.