[kwlug-disc] OT: Broadcast TV in trouble?

B.S. bs27975 at yahoo.ca
Sat Dec 12 17:27:12 EST 2015

> a la carte is the only sane way forward.

Yes and no.

No: Goes back to the reason for CRTC existence, and the spaghetti mess that that concept is currently.
- what a mess.
- and I suspect is what will be captured/contained in the base bundle.

Yes: Agreed, let the market be the market, and everyone to sink or swim. Either your business model is viable, or its not.

But when bundles are base + pick 2 = more expensive, the pricing usually makes the idea of a skinny package a farce. To date. e.g. $20 + $1.50 + $1.50 is not sufficiently different from $40 to make most people not take the $40 anyways. Making 'skinny' a farce. (Apparently, psychologically, 'sales' are successful because people fear missing out and buy whether they need it or not. I expect the same is true here with package choice.)

So my point is that base cancon outside of the base package is just silly - and counter to the point and intent of skinny. e.g. Canadian news (channels). Never mind the CBC news channel alone, and the mess of the mandate and funding of the CBC.

> The barrier to watching a broadcast station is now not much lower than
> access to a web stream.

Not so, actually but I only recently switched my viewpoint from yours.

It feels to me like only post-babyboomer's (> mid-1960's), have 'sourcing saturated' social media, youtube, etc, as the content presentation mechanism. And I have pondered if shomi isn't the next cable TV service - how long before current and live network programming is available on it. Same content - different delivery mechanisms and endpoints.

And although it feels like babyboomers (< 1960), that massive population bubble moving along, may participate in youtube and social media, it's something they pick up and put down - not live. e.g. E-mail is instant messaging, not memos, to them.

And for them, they want to turn the TV on, press guide, click a channel to show me 'this', and get on with their day. Not futz around with the underpinings of how that content arrives at the screen, nor multiple pathways within their home by which a picture appears on the screen.

(Minus the diminishing population such as populates this list.)

So, I don't think the TV, the remote, and 'broadcasting' (or 'TV') as we know it, is likely going to really change any time in the next 3 decades. The pathway by which it travels - yes, but the consumers largely want to not care / have to think about that. I expect. They will always want turnkey - press a button, consume.