[kwlug-disc] OT: Broadcast TV in trouble?

B.S. bs27975 at yahoo.ca
Fri Dec 11 23:33:13 EST 2015

>________________________________

IIRC, it was supposed to be a number of things, over the years. By IIRC I mean ... something twigged me to read up on that at some point, and it was reading the history on their site that twigged me to such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CHCH-DT

Seems to me that an element of one of the issues at one point was antenna location, and an intransigent antenna owner unwilling to share the antenna as had been done in the past. I think this surrounded moving from analogue to digital. This lead to a number of CRTC filings, and ultimate approval to broadcast from a different antenna downtown instead of where they had been.

I could be mixing, misremembering, and munging, CITS / YesTV in that, too.

I would be unsurprised if CHCH as an independent station went bankrupt. Sad, too - thanks for the heads up Khalid.

When pick and pay comes in, I expect there will be quite a few more bankruptcies. Stations that managed to get must carry status may not be able to survive when things are unbundled and they lose their must carry status.

IIRC, when I came across blurbs about pick and pay and the new minimum mandated skinny package, I noted that neither CBC nor CTV's news channels were included in it. Which seems ridiculous. Most will want such, making such a skinny package too skinny to be meaningful - negating the whole point of having a skinny package in the first place.