[kwlug-disc] 8-bay OTA antenna - $50

B.S. bs27975 at yahoo.ca
Wed Dec 9 18:10:43 EST 2015

> Rogers can rent you a box that converts digital cable to analog.

Breaking all my current equipment, tuners, PVRs, in the process. Or, cost me another $300/yr for their PVR when my own costs me zero going forwards. No thanks. Phooey on IR blasters too, for that matter. Not that my current equipment even has the ability to do so.

Looks like both Vmedia and Zazeen are cheaper.

>From my googling, looks like Vmedia is struggling for a good user experience - feels like where Acanac was at a few years ago, needing to build up and out their network capacity and over all organization. e.g. Support.

- by all accounts Acanac has effected what they needed to. I haven't seen near the complaints about them as several years back. Certainly I have had a very good year with them and no complaints.

In the past it seemed that Zazeen would be preferred, having local PVR storage, vs Vmedia's only Cloud PVR storage. (If at playback time internet isn't perfect, at least with local storage you don't care.)

Vmedia site now says they have or are working on both Cloud AND Local storage. (And have upgraded their box to a quad core Atom.) So those criticisms may no longer apply. (Cloud PVR only applied to some channels, perhaps SD only, even. Local PVR would catch all. Thus one could record that channel locally, and pick up the one that had to be missed via cloud pvr - as long as they do so within a week.) Mind you - the Zazeen STBs will record 2 shows at once, letting you watch a 3rd at the same time, even. (I've had more show timing collisions this year than any other year. Most annoying.)

Zazeen internet looks to be cheaper ($5/month) than Acanac, now, and since one has to be on Zazeen / Acanac / Distributel to do Zazeen TV, I suspect I will move to them when my Acanac year is up. (Even managed to pick up 3 Zazeen STB boxes for $20 ea. off kijiji. Although I haven't activated them yet, they seem to be working fine, and I've confirmed with Zazeen support that the serial numbers are OK.)

[To be fair, you have to be on Vmedia internet, too, to do their TV.]