[kwlug-disc] Open source backup tools

B.S. bs27975 at yahoo.ca
Fri Dec 4 14:39:03 EST 2015

----- Original Message -----

Can you clarify:

> - Microsoft Exchange 2010!

I expect only MS solutions are going to understand Exchange - are you willing to shut down exchange to back it up? Are you willing to move off Exchange to the Linux equivalent (which would let you use corresponding backup programs)?

> Unfortunately, my backup programs need to deal with ...

Are you talking bare metal restore?

> - Hyper-V virtual machines!

Are you willing to take them down in order to back them up? Else, snapshots / tools internal to the virtualizer being used? Assuming those tools are insufficient - migrating off Hyper-V to a bare metal solution like Xen or KVM? How much grief are you willing to go through at restore time? i.e. When I looked at this for vbox, for example, there was no way to do a live backup, even with fs snapshots/replication - e.g. snapshots don't take memory state, so attempting to boot a snapshot taken live risks bad things. e.g. Restore a SQL snapshot with a half-written transaction log and you will likely be unhappy. Less of an issue for a standalone (DC?) or file sharing server, I suspect - If turning a server off and on doesn't lead to too much issue most of the time, you're probably ok.

There is a not unreasonable argument to be made these days that all machines should be virtual.

> Obviously, the ability to support VSS is important.

- if VSS is being used, registries should come along for the ride. Ultimately they are just .dat files - the problem is usually that they are held open at all times. VSS works around that (for registries). [But you can still get half written preferences, for example, changes grouped instead of being atomic.]

Is clustering an option that substantially eliminates your need for backups? There are a couple of key backup concepts, RTO and RPO. Failover/Clusters may make a once per week backup acceptable.

Does it have to be centralized? (vs logs feeding to a central place for daily success confirmation?)
i.e. Central store restorable to alternate machines, vs having to go over to that particular repo to initiate a restore?

For me, replication has long been a better strategy than 'backup'. A BMR option for os only (ntbackup/mondoarchive), then replication (robocopy/rsync) for the rest. Replication to 2 cascading repositories provides for immediate restoration of oopses for 2 or 3 days. If you can implement a similar solution for SQL (and thus Exchange), you could then backup the non-live backup - which may expand your range of candidate options.

Are you looking for BMR on laptops and workstations too?
[Else, you have a clearly documented policy that if it didn't get saved on a server, you're SOL? And, broken machines will be replaced with standard images - personal settings will not be preserved?]