[kwlug-disc] Open source backup tools

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Fri Dec 4 13:12:25 EST 2015

I am heartily sick of Symantec/Veritas Backup Exec. I am looking
shifty-eyed at Bacula/Barios and Amanda. There might be other backup
solutions as well.

Unfortunately, my backup programs need to deal with proprietary
software:
- Microsoft Exchange 2010!
- Windows file shares!
- Windows domain controllers!
- Hyper-V virtual machines!

Bacula/Barios looks like it does not understand the concept of a
registry, which sounds suspicious to me.

Obviously, the ability to support VSS is important. But there seem to
be other intricacies to backing up these things that the software
would need to handle as well.

I am backing up to big hard drives, not to tapes.

So my questions:

- Has anybody successfully used open-source backup tools to back up
  horrible proprietary Windows stuff?
- What works and what doesn't?

- Paul