[kwlug-disc] Does anyone want to take over Thunderbird?

Hubert Chathi hubert at uhoreg.ca
Tue Dec 1 20:38:51 EST 2015

> Sylpheed is one I was thinking of. Back then it seemed to have a lot
> of effort on non-ASCII charsets which didn’t matter to me. From the
> screenshots it looks like it’s still in KDE 3.x land (which isn’t
> necessarily a bad thing).

Sylpheed uses GTK+2, so it's more GNOME 2 than KDE 3.  But I think
that's around the same time frame anyways.

> Haven’t heard of Claws before.

Claws started as a fork of Sylpheed.  In fact, it used to be called
Sylpheed Claws.  I haven't tried Sylpheed, but Claws is a nice
lightweight MUA, though it may be less featureful than some people might
expect.  It was my preferred MUA, for a while, but I think that what
made me move off of it was the poor calendaring support, which I needed
at the time.

There's also a newer program, Geary, which got some good press when it
was first launched.  Last I checked, though, it didn't seem to support
multiple accounts, which is a deal breaker for me.

Right now, I'm using Gnus (Emacs) as my MUA, and even though it works
very well for me, I wouldn't recommend it for most people.