[kwlug-disc] Does anyone want to take over Thunderbird?

CrankyOldBugger crankyoldbugger at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 19:14:57 EST 2015

One thing that I really like about Thunderbird, that used to be a great
feature in Outlook, is no longer in Outlook, and that is the ability to
drag an email from one account (eg. my Gmail account) to a different
account (like my live.ca account).  So now all of my emails are stored away
in nice organized folders regardless of which account I received them on.

Outlook used to be able to do this easily, until version 2010.  With 2013
they got rid of it.  There are several conversations in MS support forums
that use rather unusual words to describe how a great many people feel
about this.  In my case this was the final nail in the coffin for MS Office
and I switch to LibreOffice and Thunderbird, on both my Linux and Windows
clients.  Yes, Thunderbird allows me to continue sorting my email thusly
(other than today's mail, there's nothing in my Gmail account: it's all
stored away in the appropriate folders in my live.ca account).  Plus
there's some decent addons to Thunderbird that make it easy to export my
mail to .eml files and zip them away to a secondary storage medium.  So
both of my email accounts are lean and mean and bloat-free.