[kwlug-disc] Does anyone want to take over Thunderbird?

B.S. bs27975 at yahoo.ca
Tue Dec 1 13:57:03 EST 2015

> Google has IMAP and SMTP interfaces. I haven’t done any real testing but I’m
> pretty sure they’re adhering to the RFCs.

They don't.

The very presence of labels instead of real folders demonstrates that.

I'm not saying labels don't make sense, but not being RFC, and developers wanting to stick with RFCs, not moving target googleisms, means that non-google use of gmail will always be problematic to at least some extent.

> Well you could argue that for any MUA; what constitutes right? There are dozens
> of workflows, ways to implement filtering, quoting, spell/grammar check,
> flagging…

Right, but what I was referring to there were your comments regarding user interface, especially across platforms.

However, when the underlying e-mail store / platform doesn't adhere to standards, non-google implementations will always be beat.

Not saying I disagree with your usage / presentment comments, merely, be fair. It's not that others can't get gmail right, it's that gmail doesn't play nice. That is indisputable.

> gmail web interface. Millions more use Outlook and are happy.

I think more likely millions and gmail users just use what's in front of them, however it appears or works today, and lives with it.

> It’s us, the unreasonable ones who want the ultimate MUA who are frustrated.

Mmm, not entirely. The basic point about this thread is ... it (tb) WAS/is working (sufficiently well) / ain't broken ... leave it be, return to its original purpose, don't abandon it. E-mail is a solved problem, stop (mozilla) from morphing it into something else. E-mail is what it is, leave it be (mozilla).